Sage & Mushroom Pasta
Yield: 4-6 servings l Prep: 15 minutes | Cook: 25 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
- 1 x large white onion - finely diced
- 2 x garlic cloves - finely chopped (fresh garlic is best)
- ½ cup fresh sage leaves - about 30g (reserve some leaves for garnish)
- 1 x punnet (+/- 300g) of assorted mushrooms - oyster, shitake, portobellini, brown, shitake
- 250ml cream
- ¼ cup grated parmesan cheese
- 60-80g salted butter
- 2-3 TBSP Olive oil
- 500g pasta of your choice (ideally fettuccini or tagliatelle- but something fun like fusilli is always a winner)
- 1 tsp corn flour
- Black pepper
- Bring a large pot of water with salt to boil (about 2-3 TBSP of salt)
- While the water is boiling, in a small skillet/pan heat butter over medium (adjust if too hot) when bubbling add half of the sage leaves - cook until crispy 2-3 minutes, remove with slotted spoon and rest on plate, continue until all sage leaves are crispy.
- Continue to cook the butter until it begins to brown and starts to smell nutty. Watch carefully so not to burn it, set aside.
- Wipe the mushrooms with a damp cloth. Slice or quarter the mushrooms, have fun with it!
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Reserve ½ cup pasta water when draining. Toss the pasta with half the sage butter prepared in step 3 to prevent it from sticking.
- Add 2 -3 tablespoons of olive oil to a medium skillet/pan and heat to medium-high.
- Add onions and cook 5-7 minutes until the onions soften and become sweet.
- Add garlic, and mushrooms, salt and pepper and cook until mushrooms have released their juices.
- Add cream and cook on medium until the cream begins to reduce slightly. Finish with the remainder of the sage butter.
- In a separate cup, mix the corn flour with water to make a slurry, add to the mushroom and cream sauce, and cook until it thickens.
- Add the pasta to the sauce. Use some pasta water to thin the sauce if necessary.
- Toss the pasta with half of the parmesan cheese and fried sage leaves.
- Garnish with remaining sage leaves, parmesan cheese and a crack of black pepper.
- Serve immediately and enjoy!