Nova Deli stays keeping Houghton Hotel residents and local guests nourished.
NOT-SO-CLASSIC HOT CROSS BUNS
Yield: 15 servings
300ml + 2 tbsp full cream milk
500g bread flour
75g caster sugar
1 tbsp sunflower oil
7g fast-acting yeast
75g sultanas (you could replace the sultanas & raisins with choc chips)
Zest of 1 orange
1 apple , peeled, cored & finely chopped
1 tsp ground cinnamon
½ tsp ground nutmeg
½ tsp ground allspice
75g plain flour, plus extra for dusting
FOR THE GLAZE
3 tbsp apricot jam
- Bring 300ml milk to the boil, remove from the heat and add the 50g butter. Leave to cool until it reaches hand temperature.
- In a bowl, put 500g bread flour, 1 tsp salt, 75g caster sugar & 7g yeast. Make a well in the center.
- Pour in the warm milk and butter mixture, then add the beaten egg.
- Using a wooden spoon, mix well, then bring everything together using hands until you have a sticky dough.
- Tip the dough out onto a lightly floured surface.
- Begin to knead the dough for about 5 minutes, until the dough is smooth and elastic.
- Put the dough into a lightly oiled bowl, cover with oiled cling wrap, and leave to rise in a warm place for +/- 1 hour or until doubled in size. It’s ready when a finger is pressed into it and leaves a dent.
- Add the sultanas, raisins, zest of orange, apple, cinnamon, nutmeg, & allspice to the dough.
- Knead to make sure all ingredients are incorporated.
- Cover again with oiled clin wrap, and leave to rise for 1 more hour, or until it’s doubled in size.
- Once ready, flour your work surface.
- Divide the dough into 15 even pieces.
- Roll each piece into a smooth ball.
- Arrange the buns on one or two baking trays lined with baking paper, leaving enough space for the dough to expand.
- Cover (but don’t wrap) with more oiled cling wrap, then set aside to prove for 1hr more.
- Heat over to 200C.
- Mix 75g of flour with 5 tbsp of water to make the paste for the cross. Transfer to a piping bag with a small nozzle.
- Pipe the buns.
- Bake for 20 minutes on the middle shelf of the oven until golden NB! keep an eye, as all ovens do differ slightly.
- Gently heat the apricot jam until it melts, and brush over buns while still warm. Leave to cool.